Fearless of challenges, development in focus and pride in the students. That is why Sweden's united student unions (SFS) nominate Borås as Student City of the Year 2020/2021.
The award would have been announced at a press conference during the day (Thursday 2/4). This was canceled when the Swedish Public Health Agency further tightened the recommendations to reduce social contexts due to the coronavirus on Wednesday.
Instead, the celebration of the award is planned in connection with the introduction before the autumn term. Then the Student City of the Year Borås is inaugurated by the various parties that receive the award; City of Borås, Student Union in Borås, University of Borås and Borås Business, together with SFS.
Matilda Strömberg, chairman of SFS, explains why Borås receives the award:
- What stood out when the jury made a site visit in Borås is the collaboration in Studentstad Borås and how it improved the lives of the students. The students' voices are heard, partly in the work to develop the education, but also in the work to develop Borås as a city. The business community must also be mentioned as an important party that improves the everyday lives and the future of those who study here, she says.
What does the award mean for Borås as a student city?
John Lindskog, student union chairman:
- It feels very good of course! However, I would like to emphasize that this is a relay where I and this year's board were lucky enough to be part of just when we received the award, but the good cooperation, which is a strong contributor to Borås receiving the award, has lasted for several years and will continue in the future, so there are many in the student union who are involved in this.
- Hopefully more people will apply to Borås and the University of Borås when they understand what opportunities there are here.
Mats Tinnsten, Rector of the University of Borås:
- The award is a result of the excellent cooperation between all participating parties. A work that, with great commitment, has been going on for a long time. The award inspires continued work to profile and develop Studentstad Borås for current and future students. We have done a lot, but there is more to do - let this award be the starting point for the upcoming work in the same good spirit of collaboration.
Ulf Olsson (S), Chairman of the Municipal Board in the City of Borås:
- This award is a very nice response to the fact that our collaboration for the benefit of the students is a work that gives results. The collaboration between the city, the student union, the university and the business community has been going on for several years and there is no doubt that all parties want the same thing - we do this together for the students.
Annette Carlson (M), First Deputy Chairman of the Municipal Board in the City of Borås
- The students are incredibly important for Borås, for innovation and the municipality's development. When we now receive this award, I hope that even more students will find our way to our university and discover all the benefits of studying in a city like Borås that has a campus in the middle of the city, a progressive university and a strong entrepreneurial spirit in our companies.
The city that receives the Student City of the Year award must be characterized by good collaboration between students, the city and the university, and it is with pride that SFS nominates Borås as the Student City of the Year 2020/2021.
The award goes to a city that is not afraid of new challenges. A city that always has development in focus. A city that is proud of its students. A city that is prepared to do everything to make students happy - before, during, and after their education.
The City of Borås, the University of Borås, the Student Union of Borås and Borås Näringsliv conduct structured and continuous work through their steering group, Studentstad Borås, and its three working groups.
The working groups work with different orientations to create conditions for Borås to become a better student city to live, work in. Through the student union, the students have been an important starting point in what is to be discussed and prioritized, which makes it clear that Borås values its students .
About the award
This year's student city is an award from Sweden's united student unions (SFS) which since 1999 has been awarded annually to a city that actively works to promote students' situation and life. SFS is an association of student unions at Swedish universities and colleges that has existed since 1921 and in total gathers just over a quarter of a million students